[Buddha-l] FW: "The Demise of Buddhism in Asia"

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 30 14:41:07 MDT 2008

Hmmmmmmm---it might be the best way out for the north Koreans-- I
doubt if they've been able to retain Buddhism under the Kims.
God might not be an advance, but how about the compassionate
Jesus?
Better than nothing.......... Even if it's not 'no thing'

Buddhism just doesn't seem to attract big-bucks entrepreneurs
like Christianity does.
In many places where monasteries or orders get big donations,
it's usually to build huge temples or pagodas. The missionary
role of the original Buddhist sangha seems to have died out, or
got converted to weird organizations, like Cao Dai in Vietnam.

Cheers
Joanna
======================================

Not sure if I mentioned this before but... I know this South
Korean friend who told me that his church is preparing "bases" on
both the South Korean and Chinese side of the North Korean
borders. Their aim - the Christianization of North Korea - once
the opportunity comes (and they are convinced it will come soon).
Apparently a lot of money has already been gathered for plans to
build schools, universities, hospitals and community places in
the North. Already most of the North Korean defectors were
promptly converted to Christianity because the churches actively
help in their escape and resettlement. After all, moving from
worshipping Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il to God does not need too
big a change in mindset.

W.F. Wong