[Buddha-l] Jung and Dignaga and social mores

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 31 20:27:33 MST 2008

The topic that has interested me in this discussion of Freud and Jung is
how much we are all formed by our own era.
It may be true that there are near absolutes in moral behavior and that
Jung and Freud and everyone else should have recognized those during
their own lifetimes.
I cannot help but wonder about how deeply and profoundly our own social
assumptions affect our world-views in the year 2008.
I notice that my favorite films of the 1930s and 1940s were filled with
smokers everywhere.
Today in southern California it is rather rude to be a smoker, and it is
difficult not to apply so. Cal. values to Bogart and Bacall, to Astaire
and Rogers, to Nick and Nora Charles ...
I am confident that 75 years from now, some of the values that we
consider so un-objectionable and so accepted, that we don't recognize as
moral issues, will be seen as a severe violation of morality perhaps 100
years from now.
I'd like to think that I'd have rejected anti-Semitism if I'd lived in
the 1880s or 1920s, that I'd have rejected slavery if I'd lived in the
1830s, but I don't know.
I wonder what it is that I accept today, that my great-grandchildren
will shake their heads at, and find it hard to believe that I did not
recognize how morally objectionable such behavior is.
I just don't know.
However, I do wish everyone a Happy New Year and the reverent wish that
2009 will be a whole lot better than 2008, and 2007, and ...
Bob Zeuschner