[Buddha-l] Rich men, eyes of needles and modern gurus

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 20:33:16 MST 2008

Sadly in Singapore, even the rich are neglected, left to their own
devices--because the
monks. nuns and gurus are the rich ones mostly.

You have a choice between paying say S$800 for a meditation or $80.00. Most
would
pay for the first: expensive must be better.

So we are mostly back to square one: we care for the poor and those will
less devices.

Piya Tan

On Feb 8, 2008 10:49 AM, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 09:24 +0800, Wong Weng Fai wrote:
>
> > I saw this Lonely Planet program once on TV where the travellers went to
> > TM center in Pune. The guru there was given them a guided tour and he
> said
> > something that stuck to my mind till now...
> >
> > "All the major religions in the world take care of the poor. But who is
> > there to take care of the rich? Our goal is therefore to stay focus on
> the
> > rich."
>
> I once met a Swiss brain surgeon who had just spent a week with
> Rajneesh. With tears in his eyes, the doctor said exactly the same
> thing. I fought back snickers of cynicism as this guy fought back tears
> of gratitude that a guru was tending to his particular spiritual needs.
> Of course the prayers of the rich were eventually answered. George W.
> Bush was elected president.
>
> --
> Richard Hayes
> Department of Philosophy