[Buddha-l] Pali Canon: Tetralemma

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Feb 11 07:50:22 MST 2008

Hi David,
First: I avoid the term "absolute" anything (except when applied to the
toxic idiocy of politics, anywhere). Otherwise, not being a logician and not
desiring to become one either, for me there is conventional truth and then
there is reality truth. Reality truth is difficult to ascertain, as we have
found out by trying to be Buddhist. The tetralemma is in the domain of
logic. Logical propositions, IMO, belong to the domain of conventionality.
They are games. However, I don't hassle trying to deal with this in the Pali
canon, or in any other canon.
If this response comes across as gross ignorance, so be it--however, some
"redemption" may be in sight as I shall soon be able to read a recent book
on the two truths in Madhyamaka that, presumably, is not embedded in a
framework of unintelligible jargon.

That's all I have to say a this time.
Cheers, Joanna