[Buddha-l] Buddhism in Israel

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Mon Feb 11 11:03:09 MST 2008

Dan et al.,

Had to step in, since the quick escalation of rhetoric in this
conversation made me reflective.

I'm with Dan in not understanding any connection between large numbers
of Israeli tourists or even residents in Dharamsala and some kind of
Israeli "occupation." As I read that word I said, out loud, "wow,"
being confused and a bit creeped out. But then I thought, hey, this is
Erik writing, I will assume he's expressing wisdom poorly (in English)
rather than expressing papanca well. And Erik's follow-up confirms
this in its very first sentence: "Sorry Dan, I didn't mean to be a
bigot." Nevertheless, Erik's use of the word "occupiers" worries me,
not so much about Erik, but about a world in which such usage might go
unremarked but for prickly whistle-blowers like Dan.

On the other hand, I'm not with Dan in worrying about Erik's comments
on the use of the word "friend" in Dharamsala and possible Israeli
reaction to it. I think if I came from a country with the history of
modern Israel--whether I was a Jew or a Palestinian--I'd have an
instant dislike to strangers calling me "friend." Heck, I went to
India from the hippy-dippy culture of Berkeley and it *still* pissed
me off to be called friend by people who really only wanted to get
permanently close to my money. (Luckily, I was an ugly American and
could tell 'em all to just get outta my friggin way.) I don't
*understand* what Erik was saying, but I'm not worried about it, since
it puts me emotionally in the Israeli camp--this is my papanca.

Here's where I return to Buddhism, more or less, because I think this
all comes back to the notion of "Israel"--the very word or concept--
being a papanca. I submit that the notion of "Israel," from its
etymological origin ("wrestling with God"--Dan, is that close
enough?), through its eschatological extension (and this applies to
Christians as well as Jews), across a millennia long experience of
otherness and oppression, to the simultaneous rise of Zionism and
proto-Israeli political efforts and gargantuan modern anti-Semitism,
to Israel's current and embattled geographic existence as a state, is
and has always been a papanca. That is, there is something about the
root idea of Israel that results from or at least sets in motion a
series of mental events tied to desires and views and notions of the
self that culminate in activating the kilesas. I feel it in myself,
though like Dan I feel inversely from most folks in the world. It's
the same process whichever side of the two-way mirror you look at it
from.

Perhaps everything we love or hate is like this?

Franz