[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: CONF Popular Buddhism in Medieval Japanese Fiction, Boulder, CO, March 15-16, 2008

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Feb 11 18:03:13 MST 2008

Any of our gang in Colorado? The papers on offer look outstanding.

Wish I could go to this one--maybe I will try.
Popular Buddhism (to me anyway) is as interesting if not more interesting
than classical (aka elite) Buddhism, so far as literature and art are
concerned.

Cheers,
Joanna

H-ASIA
February 11, 2008

Conference announcement: "Illustrating the Dharma: Popular Buddhism in
Medieval Japanese Fiction" University of Colorado at Boulder March 15-16,
2008

(x-post H-Buddhism)
From: Randle Keller Kimbrough <Keller.Kimbrough at Colorado.EDU> List Editor:
Dan Arnold <daarnold at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU> Editor's Subject:
CONFERENCE>Medieval Buddhist Fiction, Univ. of Colorado
(Kimbrough)
Author's Subject: Medieval Buddhist Fiction Conference at CU Date Written:
February 9, 2008 4:21:35 PM CST Date Posted: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 20:12:23 -0600

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce a small interdisciplinary academic
conference to be held at the University of Colorado, Boulder, on
March 15 and 16, 2008, titled "Illustrating the Dharma: Popular
Buddhism in Medieval Japanese Fiction."  The conference is devoted to
exploring issues of popular Buddhism (as opposed to "orthodox
doctrinal" or "elite" Buddhism) in the medieval illustrated literary
genres of otogizoshi, sekkyo-bushi, and kowakamai.  It will feature
papers by ten European, American, and Japanese scholars, as well as a
keynote speech in Japanese by Professor Tokuda Kazuo of Gakushuin
Joshi Daigaku.  For further details, please see our conference
website at http://www.colorado.edu/CAS/dharma.htm.

Paper presenters and their paper titles will be as follows:

Maggie Childs:  "The Value of Suffering in Medieval Buddhist Fiction"

Monika Dix:  "Crowning Compassion:  Hachikazuki, Hoben, and the Cult
of the Bodhisattva Kannon"

Hank Glassman:  "Oyako wa Sangai no Kubikase:  Karmic Bondage and the
Bonds of Parental Love"

Keller Kimbrough:  "Tales of Holy Bondage:  Children and the Slave
Trade in Late-Medieval Fiction"

Max Moerman:  "Mapping the Demonic Female: Rasetsukoku in the
Japanese Buddhist Imagination"

Elizabeth Oyler:  "Tonsuring the Performer:  Text, Image, and
Narrative in the Ballad-Drama Shizuka (Library of Congress Nara ehon)"

Roberta Strippoli:  "Demon/Hero, Warrior/Monk:  The Extraordinary
Life of Saito Musashibo Benkei"

Haruko Wakabayashi:  "First Among Kings:  The Shaping of Enma in
Medieval Japanese Representations of Hell"

Takeshi Watanabe:  "Wine, Rice, or Both?  Overwriting Sectarian
Strife in the Tendai Shuhanron Debate"

Michael Watson:  "Patterns of Human Sacrifice in the Ballad-Drama
Tsukishima ('Artificial Island')"

The conference is free and open to the public; no registration is
required.  I know of several non-presenters who will be flying out to
Colorado for the event.  If any other list members think that they
might like to attend, I would be happy to offer advice regarding
transportation and accommodations.

Best wishes,

R. Keller Kimbrough
Assistant Professor
Dept. of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
University of Colorado, Boulder
keller.kimbrough at colorado.edu

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:28 PM