[Buddha-l] Re: The mess in America

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Feb 12 13:06:16 MST 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 11:21, Jim Peavler wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 17:22 -0500, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> >> When's your birthday? I'll send you a clean mirror. Sudden or no
> >> sudden,
> >> yours needs wiping.
> >
> > How refreshing to see a well-intentioned message without any hint of a
> > jeer. Now buddha-l is back on track.
>
> Sorry. I'm going to have to call you on that for illegal defense.
> There was not even a hint of Buddhist material, except, perhaps the
> word "birthday" in Dan's quotation (which I will save for future
> reference in case this situation arises again in 6 or so months.

I thought Dan's reference to sudden and gradual birthdays was an oblique
reference to the recently discovered Zen text entitled Platform Sutra of the
Sixth Birthday Party Ark (so called because it was found in Arkansas).

Now I'd be the first to admit that Zen has nothing whatsoever to do with
Buddhism, so I gratefully receive the slap on the wrist for having
transcended the rules of buddha-l, which stipulate that every message must
contain either Buddhist content, evidence in support of allegations of global
anti-Semitism or innuendos against that imaginary beast known to Republicans
as Islamo-fascism.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy