[Buddha-l] Emeritus Professor of Philosophy Paul Schmidt Dies

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:40:32 MST 2008

May Paul F Schmidt be well and happy where ever he is reborn, perhaps
smiling at us here at Buddha-L, some of the most peaceful though eccentric
on earth.

You mention "faithful auditor," which brings back memories of Berkeley,
where I notice them in the elderly professors' classes. Auditing is a great
way of learning without having to sit for exams. Unfortunately, I was not
able to audit all the classes I wanted to then: the instructor thought I was

not ready to sing in the music class when I approached her. But her lecture
on Beethoven's 5th symphony is still warm in my mind.

For the moment, let us remember all least some of the wonderful things we
often take for granted: esp the kindness of people close to us. See how
they grow, some up but mostly old: Ozymandias still lies in the desert
sands.

Metta,

Piya Tan

On Feb 13, 2008 7:56 AM, Bernie Simon <bsimon at toad.net> wrote:

> I don't know this gentleman, but I figure some on this list will.
>
> Paul F. Schmidt, emeritus professor of philosophy at the University of
> New Mexico and department chair from 1965 until 1976, died in
> Albuquerque on February 1. He was 82. The cause of death was
> pneumonia. While on sabbatical in Kyoto, Japan, in 1972 Schmidt
> studied Zen Buddhism with Professor Sohaku Ogata, Abbot of Chotoku-in,
> Shokoku-ji, and on his return began over a decade of teaching Ch'an/
> Zen Buddhism. He and Maria Chabot, a faithful auditor of his classes,
> were instrumental in founding the Bodhi Manda Zen Center in Jemez
> Springs.
>
> http://www.unm.edu/~market/cgi-bin/archives/002615.html<http://www.unm.edu/%7Emarket/cgi-bin/archives/002615.html>
>
> ----
> Bernie Simon