[Buddha-l] Three Buddhist "Magicians"

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Feb 13 07:24:27 MST 2008

Hi Terence

Though they do have different meanings the three terms gomchen (sgoms chen)
["great" meditator],  naljorpa (rnal 'byor pa)[yogin], and ngagpa (sngags pa)
[mantrika /tantrika] are in everyday language pretty much interchangeable. All
three words are most frequently used to refer to non-celibate hereditary lamas.

All three of these terms could technically also be used for monastic
practitioners who may have spent time in retreat doing Vajrayana practice - but
in spoken Tibetan the terms "sgoms chen" & "sngags pa" almost always mean
non-celibate lamas usually belonging to the Nyingma tradition.

Bhutanese usually refer to these lamas as "sgoms chen" while Tibetans seem to
use "sngags pa" more often.

I'd hesitate to translate any of these as "magician"  - Of the three terms
"sngags pa" would probably be closest since it implies mastery of mantras which
some translate as "spells".

All three of these appellations are quite often used sarcastically. In speech
they can imply something like "womaniser", "drunkard" - or a monk who one
suspects of breaking vows. Anyway it is best to use these words cautiously as
they can easily be taken the wrong way.

- C

P.S. I don't know whether Madam David-Neel should be considered as an authority
on Tibetan. An old lama from India I knew years ago had translated for her on
several occasions in Tibet. According to what he told me, Mme. David-Neel spoke
Hindi reasonably well but she could not speak or understand Tibetan.