[Buddha-l] Republicans are happier ?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:50:57 MST 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 04:50, Bill Kish wrote:

> Speaking of happiness, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this
> study:
>
> http://pewresearch.org/pubs/301/are-we-happy-yet

Probably someone has, but it has not been discussed on buddha-l. Is there
anything you'd like to say about it, Bill? It's an interesting study, and it
is certainly worth talking about in the context of Buddhism, which has an
interestingly obsessional relationship with dukkha.

One of the groups of people who reported high levels of happiness in the Pew
poll are those who attend "church" at least once a week. I wonder how broadly
that question is construed. Does it include someone who attends some kind of
religious function (synagogue, Sikh temple, Quaker meeting, Zen meditation,
vipassana meditation, church bingo etc) at least once a week; could it
include someone who does some kind of religious ritual or meditation at home
at least once a week, that is, someone who has a part of the home considered
sacred space that is regularly visited? Does it include someone who reads
buddha-l at least once a week? (One former regular contributor to buddha-l
described this forum as a kind of Internet church, rather like a version of
televangelism.)

If "going to church" is interpreted broadly, it would not surprise me too much
to see that people who do that consider themselves happy. (The folks on
buddha-l have always struck me as an unusually happy lot of people, but
perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps it is only because I consider myself to be in the
35% of Americans who say they are very happy and I have this Joni Mitchell
tendency to see myself in everyone.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy