[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 14:10:33 MST 2008

In a message dated 2/13/2008 2:44:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
gruenig at tulane.edu writes:

> If  we look at how the word "prapanca" is used, it
> is pretty clear that  one's own doctrinal commitments
> are never characterized as  prapanca.

As I understand it, papanca involves tanha (and often a lack  of
mindfulness).  Obsessive (tanha-ridden) thinking about one's own  doctrinal commitments is
papanca, too.  Clinging to views (even the views  of the Buddha) generates
dukkha.  If Buddhists are committed to the  cessation of dukkha (rather than
doctrines), then "doctrinal commitments" get  in the way if one goes into
obsession and craving around those commitments  rather than using the teachings as
medicine.
===
Is "prapanca" the same as "papanca"? I use papanca in a more micro sense
than doctrinal commitment. I would translate it as add-on thinking. When in deep
meditation (or in normal life for the more adept), one can see thoughts arise
 and fall without any "I" involvement. But, if we get involved (attached) to
this  thought, we merrily go along for the ride, lose mindfulness, invoke
tanha and an  "I". This is papanca.

Jack

Awards. Go to AOL Music.