[Buddha-l] Making a living

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 13 15:13:54 MST 2008

It's worse: how about the Buddha Bars all over the world, including the
allegedly Buddhist "east"? Oh yes, this list a few yrs back also had quite a
conversation about Buddha knickers and bras, bathing suits, etc. Perhaps
it's not all "middle class luxury".

I'm with you about all the commodification. However, In Vietnam and Laos (in
January) I saw more Hello Kitties and film mag photos than Buddha items.
Didn't see any Buddha Bars either, but then I don't hang in bars, so who
knows?
Joanna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, in reality (and maybe movies) they seem a signifier of wealth and taste
- posh restaurants, etc...

Not in my filthy hovel, mind - just an old and chipped Buddha under a pile
of unpaid bills...

Dr David Webster
Course Leader: Religion, Philosophy & Ethics University of Gloucestershire

01242 71 4778
e-mail: dwebster at glos.ac.uk
University Site: http://www.glos.ac.uk
Course blog: http://www.r-p-e.blogspot.com