[Buddha-l] Bowing to the monk

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Thu Feb 14 21:45:02 MST 2008

Sounds like Ikkyu's case, but he was "more respectable"... since he did
what he did calmly to "enlighten", not out of pride or anger -

>From http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=766632 :

Wealthy patrons invited Ikkyu to a banquet. Ikkyu arrived dressed in his
beggar's robes. The host, not recognizing him, chased him away. Ikkyu
went home, changed into his ceremonial robe of purple brocade, and
returned. With great respect, he was received into the banquet room.
There, he put his robe on the cushion, saying, "I expect you invited the
robe since you showed me away a little while ago," and left.

From: Piya Tan [mailto:dharmafarer at gmail.com]

> There is another account told to me of a monk I knew who was very
upset when he was told that we respect his robe. He took off his outer
robe and threw it on the chair, and said: "Go on, respect the robe!..."