[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 15 08:14:40 MST 2008

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> Richard,
>

>> Your tangential excursion into Frege completely baffled me. And your
>> interpretation of Nagarjuna does as well. I know Frege fairly well I
>> probably know Nagarjuna as well as any man alive. What I can't seem to
>> get a handle on is the mysterious Lusthaus.
>>

> Let's see if we can shed some of the mystery.
>
> 1. I think we agree that whatever else prapanca means, it includes some
> sense of proliferation.
>
> 2. Proliferation means to take something and diversify, derive multiples.
>
> 3. Putting Frege aside, let's take the verbal root k.r = acting, doing. In
> some languages, Sanskrit being one of them, verbs are primary, in the sense
> that they are the roots of most words; nouns being commonly formed from
> verbs by altering their form in prescribed ways.
>
> 4. In the verse from MMK, we are treated to a display of the proliferation
> of the k.r root.
>
> hetav asati karya.m ca kara.na.m ca na vidyate |
> tadabhave kriya karta kara.na.m ca na vidyate ||
>
> karya = the enacted, the "effect"
> kara.na = the activator, the "cause"
> k.riya = activity, action
> karta = actor, the "agent"
> kara.na = acting, an act or deed.
>
> from a root verb we have derived five nouns. Follow me so far?
>

> 15. Vyavahara has no choice but to speak in nouns and verbs. Paramartha is a
> middle way that reifies neither the noun nor the verb -- and hence is
> ni.sprapanca.
>
> Did you make it the finish line?

I still cannot figure out where pratiitya samutpaada fits in. Is that not the real meaning of s'uunyataa?
And why is it not possible to start from a noun and invent a root later? Languages tend to be full of surprises, due to the irregularities of history.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio