[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Sat Feb 16 11:54:11 MST 2008

In a message dated 2/16/2008 12:29:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,
twin_oceans at yahoo.com writes:

Stefan  wrote:
“A friend of mine asked me what 'Buddhism' says about being  in love. [ . . .]

My assumption is that it is  considered as a delusion. If so, does 'Buddhism'
seek to eliminate  this particular delusion? What advice does the Buddha give
to lay  folks on 'what to do when being in love' (in any tradition)? Does it
receive approval in a family-forming context? Could being in love as  a
delusion produce happiness?

Any  suggestions are welcome.
===
I can't give any canonical reference to this opinion but here is what I
understand from the whole of Buddhism that I know. There is a kind of love that
is grasping, unhappy when it goes away, possibly harmful to the love object, a
if you do what I like I love you but if not, I don't. There is another kind
of  love that is the opposite of the above. The latter kind of love is blessed
by  Buddhism.

jack

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)