[Buddha-l] Being in love

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Feb 16 17:37:38 MST 2008

Given that most of the Buddhist scriptures were written in the Orient
where marriages at that time especially were arranged and love as we
understand it today is considered a childish passion, the wording used in
the texts regarding marriage are generally about "duty", "to honor", and
"respect". Eg. Sigolavada Sutta and the one about the husband and wife
telling the Buddha about how they honored one another (forgot the name).

Having said that, mundane love is clearly a delusion for it involves
lust and possessiveness - at least some of the time. The meditation on
corpses is suppose to remedy the latter but note that it is more addressed
to monks (and nuns). It certainly does not negated the more positive
aspects of love like sharing, giving, and caring.

And as others pointed out, here in samsara, we have tons of other far more
negative delusions to deal with first. In other case, why beat up on
ourselves - esp. since we are in the laity?

Weng-Fai