[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:36:29 MST 2008

Dear Katharine,

One swallow does not make a summer. We have to examine why someone writes
such
a paper, his own trainings (what is he really troubled by), and what the
writer is really
sayings.

Every serious thinking monastic know much more that what is really going on
that
Dhammika is writing about. What he has written about are basically symptoms
that
he notices.

What about the numerous wholesome goings-on in the monastic system that we
find
today. The forest monks of Thailand, Myanmar and Sri Lanka are doing a lot
that are
just the opposite of what is written in his paper.

I think it is where we tend to look, at the problems or at the solutions.

if we read too many negative reports without reading of the solutions, or
without inner
stillness, then we become problems ourselves, we become troubled.

Ajahn Sujato himself has written about such problems in writings such as
"The History
of Mindfulness" and so on. His tone is more solution-oriented than mostly
complaining
that reflects an inner turmoil.

The 4 noble truths states the problem, its cause, the solution and how to go
about solving
it.

With metta,

Piya Tan

2008/2/18 jkirk <jkirk at spro.net>:

>  --------------------------------------
>  After reading S. Dhammika's paper "Broken Buddha" (easily found online),
> it seems to me that this "cure" is worse than the "disease" of falling or
> being in love.
>
>  Katherine
>
> =========
> Thanks Katherine for mentioning this article. I had never come across it,
> and am finding it an amazing read.
> Joanna

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 2:39 PM