[Buddha-l] Being in Love

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Feb 18 14:40:21 MST 2008

Like I said--"our" sense of love didn't exist on the Indian sub-continent
2500 years ago, or, there seems to be no evidence of it.
So why must we keep wishing there were Buddhist canonical texts about it?
On the other hand, the Buddha did have constructive things to say about
family life and responsibilities--wouldn't those apply as well to a good
marriage?
Romance did appear in courtly literature around Kalidasa's era--which is
said to be either 1st c BCE or 5th c CE. His poem Meghaduta is a case in
point, where the hero pines away in exile for his beloved WIFE, and asks the
Cloud to go check in on her to see how she is doing in his absence. If such
literature existed in the Buddha's time, I'd love to know about it.
Joanna