[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:32:32 MST 2008

In matters of love and its significance, outside of traditional Buddhism, I
still feel that
Erich Fromm's "The Art of Loving" is a necessary read at least once a
lifetime. He wrote
this book before his encounter with Buddhism, but his mention of
Christianity is not
evangelical but as a tradition or language he is familiar with. A
compassionate and
healing book.

Monastics and non-monastics are recommended to read this book.

Oh yes, if you spend more time on the net than with living loved ones or
those from whom
you can learn love and happiness, you should definitely read the book.

Metta,

Piya Tan

On Feb 19, 2008 7:57 AM, Katherine Masis <twin_oceans at yahoo.com> wrote:

> John Welwood is a Buddhist psychotherapist and author of *Toward a
> Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal
> and Spiritual Transformation*, an excellent book that integrates
> psychotherapy and spirituality.  Welwood has also written *Journey of the
> Heart: The Path of Conscious Love*, that integrates love and spirituality.
>
>  His website, http://www.johnwelwood.com, has plenty of free articles and
> interviews.
>
>  Other books I heartily recommend in this vein are Harvey B. Aronson's
> *Buddhist Practice on Western Ground: Reconciling Eastern ideals and Western
> Psychology* and Rob Preece's *The Wisdom of Imperfection: The Challenge of
> Individuation in Buddhist Life*.
>
>  Preece's website is http://www.mudra.co.uk.  Snow Lion Publications has a
> pretty good interview with Preece at
> http://www.snowlionpub.com/pages/N74_1.php.