[Buddha-l] Re: A Maitreya theme park projected for Kushinagar--good grief!

Bill Kish wdkish81 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 16:13:09 MST 2008

Joanna - I think your instincts are on target here.  Statements
like the one I provide just below need to be read in light of
Jessica Falcone's work:

  Maitreya Project is working with local, regional and state
  governments in Uttar Pradesh, India, where the Kushinagar
  Special Development Area Authority will support the planned
  development of the area surrounding the Project.

( taken from http://www.maitreyaproject.org/en/index.html )

It would be interesting to know whether any of farmers Falcone has
been speaking to have seats on the "Kushinagar Special
Development Area Authority".

It is also unfortunate that H.H. Dalai Lama seems to support the
Maitreya statue project, or is at least willing to let the FPMT
invoke his name and image in support of it (see the URL mentioned
above).  I hope he eventually seeks out additional viewpoints
besides those of the FPMT concerning the effects the project is
having on the local populations.

---------
Bill Kish