[Buddha-l] A Maitreya theme park projected for Kushinagar--good grief!

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 21:24:39 MST 2008

  Joanna, I didn’t read your post carefully the first time around.  Going back to my original question on why HHDL would endorse the Maitreya Project, I ask if he can really be that naïve.

  Katherine

  Joanna wrote:

  “I haven't noticed that HHDL has ever noticed aspects of social class and hierarchy in societies around the world--he seems to be immune to noticing them.   Perhaps because he has always been at the top of the elite of Tibetan culture, and so may never have been exposed to any sort of social critique; or, like many Buddhists, doesn't see the Buddhist mission as 'fixing' the world or society but rather working on the individual; and also as a leader of a culture he and his organization are trying to preserve (Save Tibet)--perhaps these are reasons why he would allow his name to be used as an endorsement to this kind of multi-national big bucks project.  Is the Maitreya Project one of his donors, might be a question, too.

  ‘The Maitreya Buddha statue is being designed to last for at least 1,000 years. Through this entire new millennium and into the next, it will effect positive change within the hearts and minds of people all over the world and benefit the people of India through its social and economic activities.’

  This statement is in my view an egregious example of the height of magical thinking, as well as of the depths of unconsciousness about how their actions will actually (as opposed to wishfully) affect local people.

  Aargh.
  Best, Joanna”