[Buddha-l] Zen/Ch'an & Shaolin

Steve Hopkins stephen.hopkins at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 17:12:38 MST 2008

Denizens -

A while back Joanna posted an email drawing the lists attention to an
exhibition and book about the Shaolin temple.  The book - 'Shaolin
Temple of Zen' -  by Justin Guariglia, which I now have, is almost
entirely - and very beautifully - a photographic portrait of current
practice at Shaolin.  Although it has a brief forward by Shi Yong
Xin, the current abbot, and an essay by Matthew Polly, it says (for
me) frustratingly little about the earliest historical development
and relationship between Ch'an and the martial forms.  Polly suggests
that 'the best guess is that what became kung fu was a merger between
the guards' martial techniques and the Buddhist monks' moving
meditation',   Whilst other authors of whom I am aware -  Trevor
Leggett and DT Suzuki, for example - have explored some of this
territory in the Japanese context,  I know of none who do so for Damo
(Bodhidharma) and Yi Jin Jing.  "Given Damo's Indian heritage",
writes Polly, "it is very likely that these exercises were a form of
yoga...a kind of moving meditation.  This point is absolutely
crucial; it introduced the idea that action could also be
spiritual.''   Can anyone on the list point me in the direction of
books, articles or websites that deal with this?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Hopkins