[Buddha-l] time to move to Seattle?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:48:43 MST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 12:07 AM, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> But of course if Baptists and
> Methodists represent different religions, then so should followers of
> Zen, Pure Land, Nichiren, Theravada, NKT, FWBO and SGI.

Indeed, from the various new, even radically new, developments in such
Buddhist
groups, it is meaningful and expedient to speak of and think in terms of
them as
"Buddhist religions." The conception of Theravada *bodhi* and Zen
*satori,*for example,
are not exactly synonymous.

Of course, there are always overlaps, and we often find different monastics
holding
different Buddhist religious views living amicably together in the same
premises. As
such, it is hard to find an equivalent of say the 30 Years War in Buddhism.

However, we might make Schopen smile by adding to the list, the most
important
Buddhist religion of all today: Buddhist "moneytheism" (after David Loy's
writings).

Gregory K Ornatowski has written a short introductory essay on "Continuity
and
Change in the Economic Ethics of Buddhism" (1996) discussing why there is
the
rise of money economics with the East Asian Buddhist and yet no "Protestant
Buddhist ethics" of capitalism.

Piya Tan