[Buddha-l] Emptiness

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 2 16:01:09 MDT 2008

>...... A far more reasonable view, in my opinion, would be that the
>ultimate
> stuff of the physical universe is itself uncreated (and not subject to
> destruction). All apparent impermanence and change is just the constant
> rearrangement of this stuff. This requires neither creation out of
> nothing nor destruction into nothing - both of which are highly
> questionable ideas to say the least.....

Isn't energy the "ultimate stuff of the physical universe" that is "not
subject to destruction" or creation?

Energy is empty in that it contains no "thing" (form) but at the same time
it contains all forms in that it contains the potential to be any thing and
is in every thing. From my understanding, energy cannot be destroyed however
it does get rearranged.

As far as Emptiness and Nothing are concerned, could we be simply talking
about universal energy?  If so, a reworking of the Heart Sutra could read:

"Form is no other than Emptiness (energy). Energy only (potential) Form (not
actualized form).
All feeling, thought and consciousness itself are of the same essence (i.e.
energy).
All things are in their essence void (i.e.comprised of energy). Nothing (no
thing) is truly born nor destroyed (everything is a rearrangement of
energy).
It (energy) is not stained nor pure, nor does it wane or wax. (Energy "is.")
In this emptiness (energy) lies all Form, Feeling, Thought, choices and
Consciousness.
No eyes, ear, nose, tongue body or mind.
No colour, sound, smell, taste, touch or what the mind seizes. No ignorance
nor an end to it, no withering or death. No pain nor its causes. There is no
end to it (energy) nor any path leading to such an end. Even wisdom and its
attainment is empty (energy).

Know Bodhisattva that you must hold to nothing (no thing) whatsoever
(because eventually it will lose its form and return to energy) and dwelling
within perfect wisdom free yourself from all ignorance...... etc."

Regards
Kate