[Buddha-l] Emptiness

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 3 07:01:05 MDT 2008

Kate Marshall schreef:
>> ...... A far more reasonable view, in my opinion, would be that the
>> ultimate
>> stuff of the physical universe is itself uncreated (and not subject to
>> destruction). All apparent impermanence and change is just the constant
>> rearrangement of this stuff. This requires neither creation out of
>> nothing nor destruction into nothing - both of which are highly
>> questionable ideas to say the least.....
>>

> Isn't energy the "ultimate stuff of the physical universe" that is "not
> subject to destruction" or creation?
>
> Energy is empty in that it contains no "thing" (form) but at the same time
> it contains all forms in that it contains the potential to be any thing and
> is in every thing. From my understanding, energy cannot be destroyed however
> it does get rearranged.
>
> As far as Emptiness and Nothing are concerned, could we be simply talking
> about universal energy?  If so, a reworking of the Heart Sutra could read:

In that case energy would not be samsk.rta, it would not exist dependent on anything else, it would exist as a svabhaava. It would be the same as what the advaintins call 'brahman'. Some buddhist however would get very upset because they would see this as a treat to buddhist identity.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl