[Buddha-l] Energy and "The Word"

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jul 5 13:06:03 MDT 2008

Logos is one of the most maddening Greek words in existence. One of my
favorite usages is in Plato's Theaetetus where it is proposed as the
defining distinction between "right opinion" and "knowledge":
"knowledge" being "right opinion" *plus* an "account" of why the opinion
is right. The word usually translated as "account" is actually "logos".

Even though the formula "right opinion plus an account" is very
appealing, Socrates (being Socrates) finds reasons to reject it. But in
doing so he, helpfully for our present purpose, investigates three
different meanings of the word "logos":
http://www.iep.utm.edu/t/theatetu.htm#SH3d

Curt Steinmetz