[Buddha-l] how many buddhists ...

Gary Gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 10:02:43 MDT 2008

Jack,

I'm curious: what's your intention / aim in your attempt to collect this
data?

You'll soon hear quickly enough how many people who are "Buddhist" don't use
that word (a neologism for Westerners); plus how about all the Benedictines
who practice *shikantaza*, and Quakers who subscribe to notions of karma,
and atheists who practice mindfulness, etc. etc.

Maybe (and I hope!) a denizen of Buddha-L here will proffer the name of the
university who recently conducted a survey which I find more apt in its
question and thus of its result: of the thousands (or tens of thousands?)
surveyed, one in eight said that they'd heard teaching of the Buddha and
found them applicable in their everyday lives.

palms _/|\_ joined
gary gach
http://www.redroom.com/author/gary-g-gach
1.415.771.77.93