[Buddha-l] how many buddhists ...

Patricia Q. Campbell pqcampbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 15 10:14:46 MDT 2008

> Maybe (and I hope!) a denizen of Buddha-L here will proffer the name of
> the
> university who recently conducted a survey which I find more apt in its
> question and thus of its result: of the thousands (or tens of thousands?)
> surveyed, one in eight said that they'd heard teaching of the Buddha and
> found them applicable in their everyday lives.

Perhaps this is the article:
Robert Wuthnow and Wendy Cadge.  "Buddhists and Buddhism in the United
States:  The Scope of Influence," 363-380 in Journal for the Scientific
Study of Religion  43: 3, 2004.

As noted, it is very difficult to count numbers of Buddhists, and this
article doesn't try. But it does suggest that there is a wide influence of
Buddhists and Buddhist teachings in the United States.

Patricia.