[Buddha-l] Istituto Italiano per l'Africa e l'Oriente, (IsIAO)Petition

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 15 10:16:53 MDT 2008

 > Anyone know why this institute is being closed?
 > Joanna

Dear Joanna,

I follow Italian affairs closely, though I've been living outside of
Italy for 15 years and though Italian affairs are a perennial source of
embarrassment, especially when the fake-tanned,
plastic-surgery-and-hair-transplant junkie, lecherous, law-bending
Berlusconi is prime minister.

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I know that the
government is cutting funds to just about everything, including
universities and cultural centers. These are, of course, short of money
already.

So in spite of an increasing need to educate Italians about African and
Asian matters, the venerable IsIAO (Buddhist scholars may be more
familiar with the previous IsMEO) is facing the axe.

Sic transit gloria mundi, or something.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini