[Buddha-l] U.S. Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jul 15 10:33:15 MDT 2008

 From that font of all wisdom and knowledge, wikipedia:

"The U.S. State Department's International Religious Freedom Report for
2004 indicates that 2% of the U.S. population is Buddhist, which would
mean a total of 5,973,446 Buddhists. Other estimates, perhaps relying on
a greater degree of intuition, are larger: in the 1990s, Robert A. F.
Thurman stated his opinion that there were 5 to 6 million Buddhists in
America, and others might speculate there are more. Whatever the total
number, it appears that roughly 75 to 80 percent of Buddhists in the
U.S. are of Asian descent and inherited Buddhism as a family tradition;
the remaining 20 to 25 percent are non-Asians."

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_the_United_States#Demographics_of_Buddhism_in_the_United_States

The funny thing is, though, that the "Religious Freedom Reports" issued
by the State Department *do not include data on the United States* - so
the above claim is very dubious.

Adherents.com has a little chart claiming that 0.5% of the US population
is Buddhist, as of 2004:
http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions

A better wikipedia page (with better references) is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#Buddhism

According to the above the percentage of Buddhists in the US is between
0.5% and 0.9%.

Here are some other online sources that give varying estimates:

"American Religious Identification Survey":
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris/key_findings.htm

CIA factbook:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#People

"US religious identity is rapidly changing":
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/02/26/us_religious_identity_is_rapidly_changing/

"Buddhism in America":
http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/pureland_sangha/id65.html

"US Religious Landscape Survey":