[Buddha-l] U.S. Buddhism

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Jul 15 11:57:12 MDT 2008

Jack et al.,

Thanks, Curt, for the data and links. The number of "Buddhists" in the
US (or anywhere, for that matter) is notoriously difficult to
calculate, since the standard of what defines a person as a Buddhist
is under debate. Thurman's 1990s estimate was almost certainly too
high at the time he gave it, but might be close now. As you can see
from Curt's post, others put the number at one half or even one
quarter of Thurman's estimate. In my latest conversation on this with
Charles Prebish--who's spent the better part of his scholarly career
in the study of American Buddhism--he told me six million Buddhists
was as good a guess as any.

Let me add that Gary Gach raises good points, as well. There are
plenty of people applying Buddhist wisdom to their lives or practicing
Buddhist meditation techniques, whether they think of them that way or
not. Should these people be counted? Conversely, there are plenty of
people (Tom Tweed calls them "nightstand Buddhists") who do think of
themselves as Buddhist but who never join a sangha or do much if any
practice. Should they be counted? And, to be more strict, should
anyone be counted who's not taken the refuges? And really, the only
people in the original definition of the sangha were the noble ones,
the arhats. Makes me wonder if there are any Buddhists left at all.

Franz