[Buddha-l] "The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum"

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 17 12:40:59 MDT 2008

I was looking at a fascinating blog ( http://jayarava.blogspot.com/ )
maintained by one of Richard's co-religionists (in the FWBO), and I came
across a reference to a book on "The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum: A
Study of the Karandavyuha Sutra" by Alexander Studholme. According to
the book's blurb at amazon:

"This book presents a new interpretation of the meaning of Om Manipadme
Hum, and includes a detailed, annotated precis of Karandavyuha Sutra,
opening up this important work to a wider audience. The earliest textual
source is the Karandavyuha Sutra, which describes both the compassion of
Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva whole power the mantra invokes, and the
mythical tale of the search and discovery of the mantra. Through a
detailed analysis of this sutra, Studholme explores the historical and
doctrinal forces behind the appearance of Om Manipadme Hum in India at
around the middle of the first millennium c.e. He argues that the
Karandavyuha Sutra has close affinities to non-Buddhist puranic
literature, and that the conception of Avalokitesvara and his
six-syllable mantra is influenced by the conception of the Hindu deity
Siva and his five-syllable mantra Namah Sivaya. The Karandavyuha Sutra
reflects historical situation in which the Buddhist monastic
establishment was coming into contact with Buddhist tantric
practitioners, themselves influenced by Saivite practitioners."
[
http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Om-Manipadme-Hum-Karandavyuha/dp/0791453901/ref=ed_oe_p
]

I am a big fan of Siva - and I am always looking for sneaky ways to
co-opt Him into the Buddhist pantheon (if for no other reason than to
see the looks on people's faces at the very idea of a Buddhist pantheon
at all - let alone one populated with - horrors! - Hindu Deities).

Is anyone out there familiar with this book by Studholme? Or am I going
to have to actually get it and read it myself?

Curt Steinmetz