[Buddha-l] "The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum"

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri Jul 18 03:06:21 MDT 2008

I'm not familiar with the book - but the conflation of Avalokiteshvara
with Siva is common.

There is a beautiful white marble Lokeshvara image in a remote temple in
Lahul district of Himachel Pradesh - Indian sadhus who go there call it
Triloknath the Buddhsts call it Karsha Phagpa () or "Arya of Lahoul".
Maybe due to condensation, tear like water droplets form in the corners
of the eyes of this image so it is known to "cry". This image is clearly
Buddhist - it is a four armed Avalokiteshvara with small Amitabha Buddha
image in his crown.

Nearby is a Hindu temple with an image of Durga which Buddhist visitors
worship as Vajrayogini.

The famous Kadri or Kadrinath temple in Mangalore, Karnataka also has a
  an Avalokiteshvara image crowned by Amitabha Buddha which is worshiped
as Kadrinath or Manjunath - a form of Siva. According to one accuont
this temple was  established by the siddha Matsendaranath /Machindranath
who fled there from Kerala with princess Mangal Devi whom he had taken
as his consort. (Mangalore is supposedly named after her.) This is the
same Matsendaranath who established the famous Red Machhindranath temple
in Patan and the White Machhindranath temple in Kathmandu which contain
images of red and white  Avalokiteshvara.

see:
<http://tulu-research.blogspot.com/2008/01/82vestiges-of-buddhism-in-karnataka.html>

Matsendaranath is of course found in both the Buddhist "84 Mhahasiddhas"
and in the lineage of the Hindu Nath sect. He was the Guru of Goraknath
founder of the Nath sect.

More controversially, there is an online book
<http://www.ambedkar.org/Tirupati/> claiming that the famous Tirupati
Temple (the richest Hindu temple in India) was once a Buddhist shrine
and that the main image in the temple is in fact an image of
Avalokitesvara. This book suggests that this temple  is the original
Potala which was supposed to be located in South India.

- Chris