[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 24 11:41:55 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 10:51 -0600, jkirk wrote:

>  Speak for yourself, Richard.

One has no choice in this matter. No one can speak very well for
another. In a sense we have no choice but to speak from within our own
experiences as persons. That notwithstanding, I completely agree with
you (and Jesus, apparently) that it is excellent advice not to listen
personally, that is, not to take as personal attacks what others say in
their appraisal of ideas. If I can be said to have any practice it is
that of not taking personally what others say of my convictions.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy