[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jun 24 21:05:37 MDT 2008

"He [Jung] makes a good case for the importance of spending a
lifetime maturing into the mythology of the tradition one learned
as a child. "

Along this line, I was re-inspired by my Protestant childhood
myths and legends by reading a review article about John Milton,
whose 400th birth anniversay is this year, June 2d New Yorker:
"Return to Paradise," by Jonathan Rosen.
http://tinyurl.com/688rah

When I was in college I couldn't stand to read Milton. Now it
might be about time to try at least Areopagitica, his defense of
free speech (at a time when contrary to the legends of my
childhood, my country no longer has it); and even Paradise Lost,
again. Milton's Adam and Eve had the temerity to enjoy sex before
the Fall. Adam chose to fall with her--contrary to renderings
from my youth as Man deceived by wily Woman, instead of by Satan.

"How can I live without you, how forgo
Thy sweet converse and love so dearly
Joined,
To live again in these wild woods forlorn?
Should God create another Eve, and I
Another rib afford, yet loss of thee
Would never from my heart."

Milton despite being a Puritan was also quite the free-thinker.
Joanna