[Buddha-l] Impermanence

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Mar 5 14:02:50 MST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 11:49 AM, jkirk wrote:

> Right now I'm embroiled in a resistance effort in my state to stop
> them from
> allowing 2 nuclear enterprises to pollute this state even more than
> it is
> already polluted. This requires attending to the future, so to
> speak, but
> the motive or intention is to spare the population and the
> environment from
> more radioactive consequences affecting especially pregnant women and
> children. With the way things are escalating, little time for
> meditating on
> impermanence.
>
> Radioactive contamination is indeed impermanent, but on a vaster
> scale than
> other samsaric aspects. But HHDL's thought is comforting.
> Joanna K.

I appreciate the sentiments here, but would point out that nuclear
power is very likely one of the safest sources of power we have
available to us in quantity right now. We may be fearing the wrong
things. We are getting some idea finally that even old carbon dioxide
(in enough quantity) may be threatening the whole earth. Many people
fear nuclear waste to the point that, rather than allowing it to be
moved and buried where is will be out of our concern for a few
million years at least, they allow it to be buried in stainless-steel
tubes at the bottom of heavy-water swimming pools right near their
own home towns. Also, few people seem to know that coal ash contains
high concentrations of radio active material that is more dangerous
(even in tiny amounts) than that that comes out of modern reactors--
and we dispose of it in open landfills where it is free to leach into
our water and blow into our wind so we can drink it and suck it into
our lungs!

I would rather live next door to a nuclear reactor than to a coal-
fired plant or downwind from a landfill. But what I meditate on has
little to do with either.

We all know that we are supposed to be careful about what we pray for
in case our prayers are answered. I would add that we should be
careful what we fear because we are very likely to be fearing the
wrong things while being destroyed by things we haven't realized yet.

Buddhist content: I try to meditate on some inexplicable thing such
as emptiness or death. Or what is the difference between emptiness an
death? Damned if I know.