[Buddha-l] FW: Lets get wasted

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Mar 5 15:01:32 MST 2008

Since Jim posted his views on nuclear power on the list, I wish to post an
opposing view.
Joanna
=========================

We in Idaho are already wasted--------------

INL (the nuke research lab and waste disposal outfit in eastern Idaho) has
done nada about digging up the stuff that is leaching into the Snake River
aquifer. Lots of Idahoans now know about it--there's been plenty of
publicity in newspapers etc--but the eastern ID people reject any idea for
taking INL to task, they want more of the same over there--which right now
is a French-owned nuke company AREVA that is trying to escalate tax shelter
bidding for locations in this country. They want to build a uranium
enrichment plant. Such plants create more rad-waste. We can't even shelter
what we have already and we are also taking it in from other states and even
countries abroad.  WE are one such location.

Recently the Leg House Taxation com voted out a bill to give this 2 bill
dollar plant AREVA a property tax cap of 400 mil, plus they don't have to
pay sales taxes on what they buy for construction etc. meanwhile our roads
are already gone to pot(holes) and ruts, the Leg keeps on denying more money
for education, they won't fund pre-school, they do things that even prevent
the state from getting fed money for infrastructure. The level of delusional
insanity in this state is incomprehensible.

AREVA claims they are creating 250 new jobs over there (near INL)--but those
in the know guarantee that the hi-paying job holders will come in from
outside Idaho, maybe even some from la belle france.
Our redneck libertarian guv, Butch Otter--loves nukes and loves adding to
Idaho's rad-waste while nothing is done about what's over there already. He
is backed by all the other greedy Republicans who control this state.

Your view, Jim, of nuclear power is OK until you start figuring out what to
do with the rad-waste. To date, NEV has refused to open Yucca Mountain, and
the New Mexico salt caves storage place WIPP won't take a lot of our stuff,
either. Thus, at this time there is no method for safely storing the waste
from nuclear power enterprises of all kinds, including low level stuff like
hospital use gowns, gloves, etc--on and on. Yet, despite the fact that great
science hasn't come up with a method to safely store the results of nuke
power, the industry has gotten all kinds of loan guarantees from Congress
and they are gearing up to build a bunch of them all over the country. This
means that the nice swimming pools you refer to will continue to store the
dangerous rad-waste, making more targets for terrorists as well.