[Buddha-l] Enthronment of Jetsunbma Tenzin Palmo

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sun Mar 9 04:49:17 MDT 2008

jkirk wrote:

> Thanks Chris for this clarification--I figured it wasn't a tub but some
> special contraption designed for the meditation. Also thanks for the
> description of her retreat chamber--a vernacular architecture of a special
> kind.

> Would you please tell us how people on such distant retreats get their food
> and water supplies; what must they do for toilet breaks; and don't they ever
> get out and walk or do excercises or yoga? Twelve years of sitting-only
> strikes me as counterproductive so far as health goes.
> Joanna
> ================================

When I visited her she told got food by collecting barley from households in
local villages once a year and having this roasted and ground into Tsampa. This
is what most of the monks, nuns and hermits in that area do. Anyway she seemed
to be mainly existing on a vegetarian diet of tsampa, rice and pulses etc.
Potatoes, buckwheat and small apples are also grown in that area and she would
also have been given these. She told me villagers also cut her enough firewood
for the winter, Anyway she was *extremely* thin (and I saw her just before the
winter set in when she was must have been comparatively well fed).

She mentioned at the time that she was receiving some sponsorship from John
Blofeld and a Thai princess. She said she didn't really need this and had told
them so. Anyway she certainly had enough to buy things like rice, oil sugar &
tea leaves if she needed to. She did leave her retreat every year to visit her
teacher Khamtul Rinpoche which would have been two or three days journey each
way from there - as well as to collect barley and get supplies. Anyway it wasn't
like she stayed isolated in this cave 12 months a year - probably more like ten.

There would have been some water on the mountain - and plenty of snow to melt in
the winter. It truly was a real Milarepa like situation and it is difficult to
imagine how an ordinary person could survive - she must have a tremendously
strong constitution and a tremendously strong will. Of course no one but herself
compelled her to live in retreat in such isolation.

- Chris