[Buddha-l] Tibet uprisings

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 16 09:16:27 MDT 2008

jkirk schreef:
> But supporters of the protesters warned that long-simmering resentment would
> not die down soon. 'China has swamped Tibet with settlers, poured money into
> colonialist mega-projects that solidify its control and ruthlessly attacked
> Tibetan culture and religion,' said Tenzin Dorjee, deputy director of
> Students for a Free Tibet. 'The timing and scale of this unrest indicate a
> truly national Tibetan uprising against China's illegal occupation.'

Today I attended a demonstration in front of the Chinese embassy. A
several hundreds of people came and that was exceptional, because in
past years we were only with twenty or thirty. A Tibetan young men
succeeded to crawl under the gate and got hold of the Chinese flag which
was burned ofcourse. Later a small part of the fence was damaged. Nobody
got hurt and the police just watched adn pushed a few people back. A
senator was also there and she expressed her full support for the
Tibetan case, which again never happened before. In Holland there are a
few standup comedians and artists who are aware of what's going on and
are in favour of a boycott of the Olympics. The 20th of april there's a
rockfestival for Tibet in Amsterdam. It seems that the Chinese
governement is feeling the pressure, because they officially reacted to
criticism on Chinese involvement in Darfur.
It's important to understand that these events are not carefully
orchestrated puppet shows, but outbursts of anger and despair caused by
many years of oppression and cruelty. And let's not forget Birma. Is Hu
Jintao any better then Saddam Hussein?

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms