[Buddha-l] Meatphysical warfare

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 17 09:13:55 MDT 2008

The Chinese governement fights H.L. the Dalai Lama on all fronts, see http://www.dorjeshugden.com/panchenshugden.htm
It occurred to me that there might be a philosophical background to the hatred Hu Jintao c.s. has against the D.L. During the Ming-dynasty (1368-1644)and later in the Qin (1644-1912) Chinese philosophy became more and more utilistic and antimetaphysical, metaphysics was considered as Buddhist or Daoist pollution of pure Chinese thought. This culminated in the communist revolution, which combined antimetaphysicalism with
anti-intellectualism (logophobia). The Chinese philosopher Fong Yulan for instance, rejected almost all of his former philosophical work after he got the attention of Mao, I presume for patriotistic reasons. Now the two most feared ennemies of the present regime in China are buddhism and Falun Gong, both strongly metaphysical movements. This does not suggest that utilism is repressive and metaphysics is a way to freedom, but it may point to a problem of justification of power of the present regime.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio