[Buddha-l] Tibet uprisings

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Mar 18 08:32:11 MDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> I doubt very much that the 15th Dalai Lama will be a pacifist.

Nah... the 15th DL will be chosen by China - like the existing Panchen
Lama - and probably by him too - and approved by the People's Congress.

But seriously, I am afraid the Tibetan people has little leverage over the
CCP and the PLA. The stakes are too high for the Chinese - Tibet and
Xinjiang (Muslim separatists) together represent nearly half the land area
of China. And despite what Westerners think, the current leadership - Hu
and Wen - (according to my unscientific feel) actually have good support
amongst majority of the Chinese.

W.F. Wong