[Buddha-l] Film: The Angry Monkhttp://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/the-angry-monk/

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Mar 22 10:34:47 MDT 2008

Robert Leverant wrote:

> Then there are barbarous acts worthy of the Spanish Inquisition
> overseen by high lamas. See: Friendly Feudalism: The Tibet Myth by
> Michael Parenti http://www.swans.com/library/art9/mparen01.html

Hi Robert

Parenti's article reminds me of the publications about "Feudal Tibet" Maoist
China produced in the 1960's - they even had a vividly illustrated full
colour book of the exhibits in the "exhibition of torture" which he talks
about Anna Louise Strong visiting.

Overall this view of Tibet is just as fictitious as the Shangri-La myth.

There is a rebuttal of Parenti's article at:
<http://studentsforafreetibet.org/article.php?id=425>

- Chris

=========================

Hi Chris

In my "redder days" back in the sixties I used to read Parenti like mad.
Since then I grew up a bit. Thanks for posting a rebuttal of the Parenti
citation on the list. Mine would not have been so equanimous.
Just for fun I checked wikipedia for a Parenti entry and find that it is all
pro-Parenti. Written by him?
He early on became a Leninist and continues to be one to the present, but a
lot of folks just coming across stuff written by him wouldn't know that, I
guess.

Best, Joanna

Checked by AVG.
5:52 PM