FW: [Buddha-l] So what do Buddhist cats pray for?

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 08:31:18 MDT 2008

There are Buddhist beautiful stories, mostly in the Jataka and Dhammapada
Commentaries,
of animals dying at peace and being reborn in Tavatimsa, a sort of heaven
for animals.
Shakra is the head of the devas there.

Amongst the distinguished animal turned devas there are:

Kanthaka, Siddhattha horse
Palileyyaka the elephant that attended to the Buddha in the Palileyya forest
The monkey who offered the Buddha some mangoes in the same place
The frog that was transfixed by the Buddha's voice (Manduka Vimanavatthu)

And I'm sure most of the lovely cats I had.

The point is: treat your pets well, they do to heaven when they die, and
become devas
who will (hopefully) remember you.

With metta,

Piya

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM, "Kåre A. Lie" <alberlie at online.no> wrote:

> At 07:24 24.03.2008 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >If Buddhist cats are like the temple dogs in Thailand, they probably pray
> >for mere food.
>
> I don't know if my cat is buddhist or not, but it meditates for hours
> every
>

> day.
>
> Yours,
>
> Kåre A. Lie