[Buddha-l] Logic

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon May 12 12:54:04 MDT 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 09:00, Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> Is there a term for beliefs or concepts that cannot be  either disproved or
> proved, i.e., there is no evidence either way?

I assume you are asking for the term in Sanskrit. Buddhist "logicians" used
the term "anaikaantika" for a proposition that had some evidence pointing
toward its being true and other toward its being false. The Sanskrit word
means "inconclusive" (or, more literally, not having a single conclusion".

According to the Buddhist "logicians", the vast majority of things that people
say fall into this category of propositions for which there is no conclusive
evidence. The problem with most discourse, they claim, is that people speak
as if they had conclusive evidence, but it almost always turns out that they
are simply ignoring evidence that points to the opposite of what they
believe. Care in speech (and hence in following the four speech precepts)
consists in, among other things, being mindful of when one is speaking
absolutely when the available evidence supports nothing more than speaking
provisionally.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy