[Buddha-l] FW: In honor of Wesak/Vaisakhi

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon May 19 09:26:55 MDT 2008

An article about music and/of the inner life.
Joanna

---------------------

Of Musical Import: East Meets West in the Art of Tan Dun
Ian Buruma
http://japanfocus.org/products/details/2753

...He explained the nature of ghost operas, whose form he has
loosely adopted in some of his own works. “The traditional ghost
opera,” he said, “has three acts: you welcome the ghost, you
entertain the ghost, then leave with the ghost.” In Buddhist
terms, it is about “the last life, our present life and the next
life.” Religion in rural China, where Tan grew up, is an eclectic
mix of Taoism, Buddhism and folk beliefs, mostly to do with
nature worship, mediated by people in touch with the spiritual
world. That is what he means by shamans....

...If you want to be a Chinese avant-garde artist, the safest way
is to stick to your grandmother’s tone. The most dangerous way is
to follow Western music from the Romantics to 12-tone. This
period is poison. I could only use the techniques as a recipe for
my fusion cooking.”...

Checked by AVG.
5/18/2008 9:31 AM