[Buddha-l] Sharon Stone and Karma

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Wed May 28 19:45:11 MDT 2008

Er... an 'unenlightened Buddha' sounds self-contradictory, since
Buddhahood is the realization of the highest enlightenment. From Seijo's
simple answer, the 10 kalpas seems to refer to the time before Daitsu
Chisho Buddha became a Buddha? The koan seems to be focusing on why much
effort can seem futile - though there is no such thing as futile efforts
- as long as one realizes they were futile or wrongly exerted!

Mumonkan - Case 9: A Buddha Before History

From
http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/eric.boix/Koan/Mumonkan/09_A_buddha_before_hist
ory.txt -

A monk asked Seijo:
  "I understand that Daitsu Chisho Buddha who lived before recorded
history
   sat in meditation for ten cycles of existence and could not realize
the
   highest truth, and so could not become fully emancipated. Why was
this so?"
Seijo replied:
  "Your question is self-explanatory."
The monk asked:
  "Since the Buddha was meditating, why could he not fulfill Buddahood?"
Seijo said:
  "He was not a Buddha."