[Buddha-l] Sharon Stone and Karma

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 29 12:55:50 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 15:54 +0800, John Whalen-Bridge wrote:

> I would think having to sit and drink two pots of coffee straight with
> Slavoj Zizek and listen to all his opinions about China and religion
> would dissuade her from speaking too quickly, and Prof. Zizek would
> perhaps also come out a more chastened, thoughtful person.

Slavoj Zizek made a landing at University of New Mexico last autumn. He
overfilled the university's largest lecture theater and regaled a crowd
of squealing undergraduate groupies with a seemingly endless barrage of
stream-of-unconsciousness observations about Israel, the Bush
administration, bad movies, tasteless sexual jokes and famous people who
admired him, all delivered in his inimitable style of frenetic
slobbering, spitting, nose-picking and spontaneous idiot laughter. I
couldn't tell whether he was on cocaine or speed or some judicious
combination of both. I can safely say it was the most offensively vulgar
display of pseudo-intellectual narcissism I have seen in an academic
venue since I went to see Michael Moore. Despite all that, I didn't like
it very much. No doubt my response was a jealous reaction to the
knowledge that his visitation cost the university several thousand
dollars.

I think there is little prospect of Professor Doctor Zizek ever being
chastened or becoming thoughtful, but I agree with you that five minutes
with him might be an appropriate karmic ripening for Sharon Stone's
unfortunate display of verbal carelessness.

> All agreed?

Hey! This is buddha-l. We don't cotton to no agreement around here!

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy