[Buddha-l] thank you for the brain citation

S.A. Feite sfeite at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 6 15:25:01 MST 2008

Hi Gary:

On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Gary Gach wrote:

> plus some bonus points i can't yet reveal
> ... all within context of Buddha Way,
> (and with exactly one week from start to finish,
> hence, steve, my inability to take better advantage of your
> suggestion: yes i'm aware of the high gamma tests but still
> not able to coherently 'explain' their contextual relevance
> other than perhaps (1) a higher 'set-point of meditators
> (which i've done in discussion neuroplasticity);
> (2) the positive effects of compassion meditation, 'tho
> apparently various techniques of meditation produce high gamma
> (from richard davidson's report, i think it was, i thought the
> tibetans
> were the first to exhibit such high marks, but like i say, i'm
> strapped for
> time
> and proportionate perspective on this whole puppy)

If you haven't had a chance to see it, check out the documentary
_Monks In the Lab_. It's when they first 'rediscovered' this effect
(on Tibetans as you indicate), the later *published* study I believe
covered biochemist and HHDL translator Matthieu Ricard's contribution
(both as a contributor and a participant).

It would be short and sweet to say it is a neurological sign which
appears to accompany samadhi. It remains as a side effect in the
background even after the meditation session has ended. Unlike
regular, alpha coherence that we all experience in our day to day and
moment to moment lives, this type of coherence brings together
different parts of the brain in synchrony while activating the brain
centers associated with "a high level of activity in the parts of the
brain that help to form positive emotions, such as:

•  happiness, enthusiasm, joy, and self-control,
•  a decreased level of activity in the parts of the brain related to
negative emotions like depression, self-  centeredness, and a lack of
happiness or satisfaction,
•  a calming of the section of the brain that acts as a trigger for
fear and anger,
•  the ability to reach a state of inner peace even when facing
extremely disturbing circumstances, and
•  an unusual capacity for empathy and attunement to emotions in other
people."

Best wishes for your work,

Steve Feite