[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Mon Nov 10 18:29:00 MST 2008

Actually, the experiment illustrates not so much of Zen meditation
destroying "one's ability to learn from one's experience", but how it
can train the mind to "unlearn". Of course, this is dangerous if we
don't learn to take precautions from potential dangers.

However, a good Zennie in the experiment should had wisely run this thru
his/her mind already, before the experiment began - "Hmmm... I'll be
getting an electric shock whether I anticipate it in fear or not. If so,
let me make peace with the inevitable by switching to 'beginner's mind'
mode, which erases such useless fears, so as to accept the shock
graciously, calmly." The mind that is wise unlearns the unnecessary,
while not clinging to knowledge that is useful; merely taking it as a
reference point - which can shift; unless it is some timeless truth like
the 3 marks of existence.

This reminds me of the Sallatha Sutta :
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html ,
where the Buddha says its unwise for a person physically shot by an
arrow to aggravate the pain mentally by clinging to it. In the case of
the experiment below, there is clinging to the pain that was to come.
Here are 6 more simple everyday cases of how suffering is optional even
when pain is inevitable - http://tinyurl.com/65oa5h