[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Tue Nov 11 09:02:08 MST 2008

Richard Hayes wrote:
> That is a much more charitable interpretation than the one I would give.
> What I am inclined to say is that what the experiment illustrates is the
> penchant of psychologists to perform experiments that give us blinding
> insights into the obvious.

I am team-teaching a course with a psychologist at the moment, and I
must say that I often feel this way-- I tend to think of it as the "Bill
Murray response" (at the beginning of Ghostbusters)-- that is, they just
like to inflict twisted pain on college students (unless they are
pretty). My colleague's explanation is that they need hard data, even to
demonstrate the obvious. As such, he is quite skeptical of the usual
studies done in the field of "positive psychology," typically dismissing
them as "subjective accounts with no verifiability." So while "change
your mind, change your brain" seems obvious to me, the whole blather
over neuro-plasticity really does have everybody hot and bothered,
doesn't it?

Given our different approaches, then, one of the fun subjects we keep
dealing with is the huge gap between the widely reported high levels of
"happiness" (contentment, satisfaction, whatever) at all distributions
of income, national/ethnic origin, gender, physical health, and the
like, together with the idea of the "happiness set-point," versus the
Buddhist pronouncement on the universal pervasiveness of dukkha.
Interestingly, he tends to dismiss the studies showing people to be
generally pretty satisfied as subjective reporting and hence unreliable
whereas I tend to accept the studies--and my personal experience of the
folks around me (other than American Buddhists)-- and thus dismiss the
Buddhist diagnosis as simply false (at best) or a religious "bait and
switch" at worse (agreeing with HHDL that everybody wants to be happy
and avoid suffering is easy, but is really a slippery slope to shaving
your head and leaving your "loved ones" behind). The "happiness" of the
positive psych folks is not at all the same as the "awakening" or
"dukkha-nirodha" of the Buddhists. Obviously we need to set up a
well-funded "Institute of Happy Consciousness Studies" in order to
figure it all out. . .maybe some penguins. . .

In any case. To return to the truly scientific realm of anecdotal
reporting, among the many Zen communities we have around here I used to
often hire a few of the monks as "handy monks" to help out with painting
and other stuff (helping them to fulfill their "day without work is a
day without food" ethic while garnering merit for myself along the way).
I long ago learned to *never* hire them within one week of any kind of
sesshin-- they tended to drive their cars off the roads, knock over
paint buckets, and other sorts of things that convinced me they just
weren't responding to the outside world in a normal way. . . well, at
least not in the way that I wanted.

Jamie